| || || || |
- For the Ferryman: A Personal History, published by Chelsea station additions, 2011
- The Initial Psychotherapy Interview, Published by Elserier Insights, 2011
- Joy of Gay Sex: Third Edition, 2002
- The New Joy of Gay Sex, (with Felice Picano), published by HarperCollins, 1992
- Gays, Lesbians and Their Therapists: Studies in Psychotherapy, published by W.W. Norton, 1991.
- Man to Man: Gay Couples in America, published by William Morrow, 1981. (Out of print.)
- The Joy of Gay Sex, with Edmund White, published by Crown, 1977. (Out of print.)
- A Family Matter: A Parents’ Guide to Homosexuality, published by McGraw-Hill, 1977. (Out of print.)
Book Chapters in Edited Books
- "The Origin of the Gay Psychotherapy Movement.” In Duberman, A Queer World. New York University Press, 1997.
This paper discusses the political battles that led up to the removal of homosexuality as a mental illness, and its after-effects in the gay community. It also discusses disagreements between those who hold a biological point of view over the origin of homosexuality and those who hold a social constructionist point of view.
- The Medical Treatment of Homosexuality.” In Cabaj & Stein, Textbook on Homosexuality, American Psychiatric Press, 1996.
This short paper gives a succinct history of the medical treatment of homosexuality, including aversion therapy, hormonal and surgical techniques.
- “Siren’s Song.” In Merla, Defining Moments: Gay Writers Tell Their Coming Out Stories, Avon, 1996.
- “Psychotherapy and the Medical Treatment of Homosexuality.”In Gonsiorek & Weinrich, Homosexuality: Research Implications for Public Policy, Sage Publications, 4,000 words 1991.
This paper discusses attempts to “cure” gay people by converting them into heterosexuals. It highlights the relationship between scapegoats in society and medical diagnosis.
- “When the Therapist is More Anxious Than the Patient.” In Silverstein, Gays, Lesbians and Their Patients: Studies in Psychotherapy, W.W. Norton, 1991.
- “Psychotherapy and Psychotherapists: A History.” In Silverstein, Gays, Lesbians and Their Therapists, W.W. Norton, 1991.
- “Treating Gay Male Couples. In Kris, Keys to Caring: Assisting Your Gay and Lesbian Client, Alyson Press, 1990. ****
- The Implications of Removing Homosexuality from the DSM as a Mental Disorder
- Facilitating Support Groups for Professionals Working With PWA’s. With Grossman, in Social Work, 1993.
- “The Borderline Personality Disorder and Gay People.” Journal of Homosexuality, 1988.
The first few pages of this paper will be tough going for the laymen since it was written for a professional journal. It contains a lot of psychological jargon. You may wish to skim over them and get to the case study of a gay man. The paper highlights the impact of personality problems upon gay love relationships.
- “Introduction.” The Lavender Couch, by Hall, 1985.
- “The Ethical and Moral Implications of Sexual Classification: A Commentary.” Journal of Homosexuality, 1984. ****
- Book Review. Masters & Johnson, Homosexuality in Perspective. In Contemporary Psychology, 1980. ****
- “Symposium on Homosexuality and the Ethics of Behavioral Intervention (Paper no. 2). Journal of Homosexuality, 1977. Originally presented at the Ninth Annual Convention of the Association for the Advancement of Behavior Therapy, December 1975
The intention of the symposium was to attack the use of aversion therapy on gay men in particular, and all therapies designed to change sexual orientation in general. The other panelists were Gerald Davison, who was president of the association, and Dave Begelman, a behaviorist with a strong sense of ethics.
- “Even Psychiatry Can Profit from its Past Mistakes.” Journal of Homosexuality, 1976-1977. Originally presented before the Nomenclature Committee of the American Psychiatric Association, February 8th 1973.
I presented this paper at a meeting of theNomenclature Committee of the American Psychiatric Association on February 8th, 1973. The meeting was called in order to consider whether homosexuality should be deleted from the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual as a mental disorder. Homosexuality was deleted from the manual by a vote of the Board of Trustees on December 15, 1973.
Gay Travel Articles
- Gay Life in Cork City, Ireland, The Guide, 1996.
- Discovering Gay Vietnam, The Guide, 1997.
- In the Footsteps of Lawrence of Arabia, The Guide, 1995.
| || || |